Monday, October 13, 2008

Changing Seasons, Growing Dreams

Fall is definitely here now, and I'm so excited about it. I missed the colors and crispness in the air during the years I spent in California. And I love the changes that it brings to farming too . . . the days get shorter, the work (very gradually) a little easier. I've learned a lot the past four months -- not just about farming, but about myself.

I feel like I am really becoming who I've wanted to be. I've found my heart and my passions and the balance that I had always wondered about the existence of. Life at home is great, to be sure, but inside I have peace. It brings a sense of self to truly know what your loves are and to be actually doing something about them.

My loves: farming and writing. Interests: making money through business and real estate. What I want to do with my life: Invest, raise our kids on a small farm, and write.

As far as to what we are doing about them, we are working with my parents and some realtors right now about getting started in some rental properties in this area. For the time being we will be partnering with my parents until we all get pretty well set up; it's their retirement and our future, so it works well for everyone involved.

For farming, I have realized that I don't want a full-time operation dedicated to supporting us financially (that's what the investing will be for). What I want is a place for us to do what we want with the land, produce our own food, and teach our kids about the importance of work. A small customer base to offset some of the costs is fine, but I want to be able to provide some of our family members and close friends with good, homegrown food. Right now I can only imagine how satisfying that will be, but I'm looking forward to it in the not so distant future.

And writing, well, I've actually been starting on some freelancing. Slow going of course, especially until I get myself used to it again, but I consider it another way to explore myself and hopefully still contribute to our income when the baby gets here. Kenny has been so encouraging and I love him more all the time, because he knows who I am before I do and helps me to realize it. I'm also going to be taking a writing class either this month or next, so that will help me out too.

The baby, yes, the baby. I'm starting to get really excited about February. I'll admit my trepidition and fear for the first few months, but just having her (?) part of me and feeling her develop has . . . changed me inside. I don't know how you can love someone you haven't met yet, but it's amazing. I feel older, like I'm learning about some secret to life that really isn't a secret at all but requires the experience . . . I don't know if that makes sense at all but I feel more complete.

Honestly, we are just really blessed right now.

2 comments:

Nicole.Ann said...

Bri!! I can't even tell you how excited I am for you guys :) Honestly, I love reading your blog, your thoughts, your passions, your hopes, your dreams, your enthusiasms!!!

I'm so excited for your family and your future.

I have been taking a sustainable food issues class and it's really opened my eyes to A LOT!! You have no idea how excited I am right now for your farm and your dreams in that aspect :) Are you going to do a CSA?! Organic?! I'm sure I could find out if I took the time to read ALL your blogs but hey, it's easier this way at the moment to just ask you!!

Miss you Bri, tell Kenny hi, have Kenny give your belly a kiss from me :)

Jolie said...

Hello dear friend,

I visit your blog. It’s very cool and you have chosen a attractive topic. Friend, if I say that we should exchange links so that we can earn more then what’s your opinion. We will also share our ideas. In this way we can earn more and more.
Pls reply me at “usman.obf@gmail.com”

Waiting for your good response.

Thx